Bergamot essential oil comes from the cold or hand pressed, almost ripe, fruit rind of the citrus bergamot tree. It has potent calming, antibacterial, antiseptic, analgesic, and antispasmodic properties.
What Bergamot Essential Can Do for You
For centuries, Italians have been using bergamot oil as folkloric medicine for quelling fevers and combatting intestinal worms. Recent studies show it can likewise be used for the following:
- Relieving complications and symptoms of bacterial infections. Research shows it can fight the antibiotic resistant Enterococcus faecalis and faecium Commonly, endocarditis, bacteremia, meningitis, and urinary tract infections can be attributed to these bacterial species.
- Lowering LDL or bad cholesterol levels and raising HDL or good cholesterol in individuals with high cholesterol levels. Bergamot acts by inhibiting the HMG-CoA reductase enzyme, an enzyme that’s active when you have high glucose levels in your body. This in turn triggers cholesterol synthesis and blood pressure reduction.
- Accelerating the healing of cold sores, herpes, and mouth ulcers. The antibacterial effect of Bergamot essential oil also aids in faster healing of chickenpox and shingles.
- Preventing and improving skin conditions caused by fungal infections. Research suggests that its antifungal properties help fight infections from Candida fungus.
- Reducing stress and anxiety. When used in aromatherapy, citrus bergamot essential oil may lessen anxiety and stress levels. It can also alleviate depression and get rid of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Safety Issues of Bergamot Essential Oil
Although bergamot essential oil is generally safe, consult your doctor before using it, especially in the case of children and pregnant women. Taking oral preparations of bergamot oil may also reduce potassium levels in the body and result in twitching and muscle cramps.
Check with your doctor if you have potassium deficiency. In addition, bergamot oil can make your skin more vulnerable to sun damage, so you shouldn’t use it in conjunction with other sun-sensitizing agents or medications.
Bergamot’s benefits improve different aspects of your health. But to enjoy what it can offer, make sure it’s safe for you to take it.Tags: Bergamot Essential Oil, Essential Oil, Oil